Mr Hawe and Mr Semple are experienced Consultant Gynaecologists who are specialists in Gynaecological Cancer screening, investigation and treatment. Their practice follows national and regional guidelines.
Mr Hawe leads the Gynae Oncology service and Mr Semple leads the Colposcopy service at the Countess of Chester Trust. Cheshire Womens Health has clinical links with the Regional Cancer Treatment Centres at the Liverpool Womens Hospital and the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre for referral of necessary cases.
All cases of cancer or suspected cancer are discussed at the Regional Sector MDT to reccommend best management and treatment. Our practice aims to ensure all investigations are undertaken within a single consultation, provides ambulatory (outpatient) investigations / procedures and where appropriate a keyhole (Minimal Access) surgical approach to treatment when deemed appropriate by the MDT.
We work closely with Sharon Rowe, Genetic Counsellor (GeneHealth UK) and patients will be referred for additional advice regarding genetic testing and risk reducing surgery in more complex cases when it is suspected that a patient may be at risk of genetic ovarian or endometrial (lining of the womb) cancer.
Cervical and Vulval pre-cancer and cancer (Mr Semple only):
- Smear and HPV testing and interpretation
- Colposcopy (inspection of the cervix under magnification)
- Vulvoscopy (inspection of the vulval skin under magnification)
- Treatment for pre-cancerous cells including large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ) and excision of vulval pre-cancerous lesions
- Treatment for early cervical cancer including knife cone biopsy and laparoscopic (keyhole) total hysterectomy when appropriate after discussion at MDT
Ovarian Cancer Screening (Mr Hawe and Mr Semple):
- Risk assessment by family or personal history
- Transvaginal ultrasound scan
- Ca125 and ROMA blood testing available
- Referral Genetic Counsellor
Early endometrial cancer (Mr Hawe and Mr Semple):
- Out patient investigations: transvaginal ultrasound scan, endometrial (lining of the womb biopsy) +/- outpatient hysteroscopy
- Laparoscopic (keyhole) total hysterectomy
Risk reducing surgery (Mr Hawe):
- Prophylactic keyhole surgery to remove ovaries to reduce risk of ovarian cancer in patients who carry the BRCA 1 and 2 gene
- Prophylactic removal of the womb, neck of the womb and ovaries to reduce the risk of endometrial (lining of the womb) and ovarian cancer in patients who have Lynch or HNPCC syndrome (genetic disease)